Monday, April 30, 2012

The Food Matters Project - Roasted Asparagus and White Bean Soup


The Food Matters recipe for this week was chosen by Adrienne and I have got to say, it was absolutely incredible.  For the full version of the recipe head on over to Adrienne's website and check it out!  This challenge is seriously pushing my food horizons and I like it.  A lot.



So I didn't really stray too far away from this recipe.  I roasted the asparagus in the oven for just a few minutes because no one likes stringy asparagus!


And I sauteed the leeks, garlic and rosemary and then added 6 cups of vegetable stock, 2 chopped potatoes, and 1 1/2 cups of white beans and let it bubble for a half an hour.

Asparagus added at the end of cooking


But here's the catch.  While I understand the Food Matters Project was to become more aware about meat content, I had a ham hock in my freezer from Meadow Haven Farm and I have been itching to use it for ages.  And let's be honest... beans and ham?  Done.  So I did it.


I boiled it for an hour before I added it to the soup since it takes longer to cook, but then I just let it ooze and simmer right into the soup, and oh man, genius idea if I do say so.


After 30 minutes I took the ham hock out and threw the roasted asparagus in, chopped and the other 1 1/2 cups of beans in to heat through.  I dismembered the ham hock (have you ever done it, super fun, try it just once), and I threw all the little pieces into the soup.


Then I shaved some huge shards of Parmesan cheese with a vegetable peeler over the soup and let it get gooey and decadent.  This soup is amazing.  And it's healthy.


It'd be delicious without the ham, so if you're a vegetarian try this out anyway!  And do it soon because asparagus is in season and you can get it at the markets!  It's so hearty and filled with protein.  This was such an excellent choice and I can't wait to keep cooking through this book.

5 comments:

  1. Looks great. Save me some. Dad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks delicious! I've never thrown asparagus in a soup? Just realized that :) Need to because this soup looks amazing! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! This looks delicious! I like how yours didn't come out as thick, made it easier to eat as this weather is getting warmer!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was the first time I did too, but it was really tasty so I think I'll do it again! Evi, I liked that too which was why I decided not to blend it all together... maybe in the winter though! Thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't puree my soup either... I love the ham and love all those delicious chunks!

    ReplyDelete