Friday, October 14, 2011

Bruschetta

There are few dishes that are easier and more delicious than bruschetta.  There are many different ways to make it and they are all delicious!  Yum. I made this recipe awhile ago, and since I am moving tomorrow, I thought this would be a great easy recipe to post!




One of my favorite things about bruschetta is the ability to choose... so many options!  In this situation, I decided colors were essential, so I got three of four different types of tomatoes.  I have decided that making bruschetta is easiest with cherry tomatoes.  So, chop cherry tomatoes and put them onto a paper towel to let the liquid and seeds drain a bit.  It keeps the tomatoes from getting mushy!

Pre-heat the oven to 400, chop french bread into slices, drizzle with oil, and toast for 4-5 minutes, until golden.  I decided to get a little creative with this recipe and roast a head of garlic for 45 minutes, squeeze out the goo, and spread it on the toast for another level of flavor!


That's why the bread looks shiny.  Delicious.  Back to the topping...

Chop enough mozzarella to have an equal proportion of tomatoes and cheese.  Chop a bunch of fresh basil to add to the mixture as well.  Stir it all together, and here's the kicker: add a squeeze of lime to the mix (thanks to my friend Al who taught me this trick!)  This added a nice extra "mmph" and the acidity did something incredible to the flavors.


Spoon a healthy amount onto each of the toasts and throw back into the oven for just a minute or two so the cheese can melt a bit and the flavors can meld together.


This can be served as an appetizer or for dinner!  You could also saute the toasts in oil or serve the mixture cold.  There are so many options, you must try... absolutely amazing!

Bruschetta

a pint of cherry tomatoes (multi-colored or red)
a container of the small balls of mozzarella
a bunch of basil
french bread
garlic
olive oil
1/2 a lime

No comments:

Post a Comment