Monday, February 20, 2012

Whole Wheat Flatbread


Do you ever have one of those days when you literally drop EVERYTHING.  Mine was today.  I shattered a plate at work and dropped everything I picked up.  Ridiculous!  
This whole wheat flatbread is a recipe that I discovered in Food Matters by Mark Bittman.  If you have never read about him, I really encourage you to do so.  He makes healthy living and delicious eating possible with his recipes!  He not only gives you a recipe, but he includes several options for tweaking it into a new and different version.  I recently joined the Food Matters Project started to raise awareness about what we are putting into our bodies.  It is making me excited to stay at home and try new and healthy dishes while getting creative at the same time.

This dish is so easy you won't believe it.  For those of you that are like me and find it difficult to justify purchasing bread in the stores because it is so much cheaper and better homemade, this is for you.  For those of you who are thinking "what the heck, she's crazy," this is also for you.  It's the easiest bread in the world to make and it's amazing!  All you do is combine one cup of whole wheat flour and one teaspoon of salt in a bowl and whisk in one and a half cups of water to form a pancake battery substance.



Cover it with a towel and allow it to rest for as little as the time it takes to heat the oven to 450 or as long as 12 hours.


I know it's February, but the turkey towel stays out all year long in this house.  

When you turn the oven on, put the a 12 inch saute pan in the oven with four tablespoons of olive oil to heat up along with it.  You can also put herbs or onions in at this time for flavoring, but I wanted to try it without the first time.  Leave it in for just a minute until the oil is shimmery, then carefully (I used a cast iron pan, which made my oven mits melt when I touched it), pour the batter into the pan and cook for 30 - 40 minutes.



It should be browning on the edges by then.  Let it sit for just a minute before you remove the bread from the pan.


Serve however you can imagine.  I ate it with my favorite soft cheese and strawberry wine jelly I made last summer.



Try it as a pizza crust one night or rub some garlic on and make a healthy pasta with some garlic bread.  The possibilities are endless and it takes hardly any effort!

Whole Wheat Flatbread

1 cup whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups water

No comments:

Post a Comment