Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Garbage Disposal Pasta


Ladies and gentlemen the time as come: I am going to Disney World with my best friend tomorrow to run in our very first Disney Princess Half Marathon.  There are no words for how excited we are.  I doubt I'll be able to sleep tonight!  Now you may be wondering why in the world I titled this dish with such a gross name... but seriously, I used a lot of random stuff.  Two leftover pastas, in fact.  AND a butternut squash from October.  If you don't have a root cellar (I'm still looking for an apartment in Chicago that comes with one), you can get one of these lovely racks and hang it in your home!


It's true, root veggies and potatoes probably shouldn't be hanging in a window with sun, but I am doing what I can here!  Now I am not really carb-loading, but I am eating a lot of whole grains and lean proteins this week.  This recipe is an attempt at using my leftovers and creating a nutritious meal.  It is loosely based on this Giada recipe which is amazing, especially when basil is in season.

Preheat the oven to 425 and peel and chop a butternut squash and an onion.  Cover with olive oil and season with salt and pepper and roast until tender (about 30 minutes).


Now for the random acts of tossing...


This pot is a mix of a pesto pasta dish that I made and froze awhile ago with some gorgeous mushrooms and leftover noodles and chicken from a homemade chicken noodle soup several days ago.  I heated it up with a little bit of water in order to get some moisture for a sauce.  Then I added goat cheese to make a smooth sauce and the butternut squash on top.  It was absolutely delicious and filling!  Perfect for just days before a race.


I'm sure that everyone has created some odd but incredible dishes out there and this is mine!  I'll try to post from Florida, but it may just be pictures.  Wish us luck as we embark on this quest. :)  What are your favorite dishes that you've thrown together at the last minute?

Garbage Disposal Pasta (Based off of Giada's Penne with Butternut Squash)

1 butternut squash
1 onion
whole wheat pasta
a couple of spoonfuls of goat cheese
mushrooms
leftover chicken
pesto
water
olive oil
salt and pepper

No comments:

Post a Comment