Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Minestrone

Do you ever see a cookbook and just have that feeling that it's going to be filled with sheer genius?  When I was at a book sale at the end of the summer, I saw Jamie Oliver's The Naked Chef and knew that there would be something special inside.  I find Jamie Oliver inspiring.  He makes these wonderfully hearty, healthy dishes in a sustainable way.  He has inspired me to be more conscious about my food consumption and purchases.  When I got this cookbook I read it in a night.  He is incredible.  He has a tomato soup recipe that doesn't require milk or cream and is out of this world.  I just want to cook my way through this entire book.  I know that every recipe will be incredible.  This particular recipe is his minestrone.  It is so hearty and satisfying.  It has become a staple in my freezer and I make it for everyone!
This recipe is like the big cheese of vegetables... err, right.  You will need to chop 3 carrots, 2 leeks, 5 ribs of celery, and 2 red onions to start, 2 cloves of garlic, and a tablespoon (or more) of fresh rosemary.  Heat some olive oil in a pan and saute it for about fifteen minutes or until they just start to get tender.



It will smell incredible.  I promise.  Then you will need to add a 24 oz can of drained tomatoes.  Now this is where I get excited.  You may remember my post on canning tomatoes.  Well, I have been saving these cans for a special occasion because I'm crazy and I want to savor them.  So, obviously, I used a jar in this soup.  And oh buddy, good decision.


As you may have been able to gather from my blabbering, I really am proud of my tomatoes.  Anyhow, you will need tomatoes of some kind.  Add them to the soup and cook for just a minute.  Then add 8 cups of chicken stock or vegetable stock to make it vegetarian.  Now Jamie Oliver only calls for 3 cups, but I added more because I like it very soupy and less stew-y.  Also add 1/2 to a whole head of cabbage. Simmer covered for about 20-25 minutes.  Then add 6 ounces of spaghetti (I used orzo) and some fresh basil and simmer for about 5 more minutes.  Make sure the cabbage is tender before you turn the heat off.  Season to taste.


Serve with some parmesan cheese.



I honestly just love this soup more than most things.  I love what Jamie Oliver stands for and I hope that I can help his Food Revolution in some way, even if it's just through this blog.  My final words are this: pizza may possibly be declared a vegetable.  If you are also mortified by this, then you will love Jamie Oliver as much as I do.  The connection is there I promise.

Minestrone
28 ounce can of tomatoes, drained
3 carrots
2 leeks
5 ribs of celery
2 red onions
1/2 to a whole head of cabbage
2 cloves of garlic
1 tablespoon chopped rosemary
8 cups of chicken or vegetable stock (Jamie Oliver also suggests ham stock)
a couple of handfuls of torn basil
6 oz spaghetti (orzo)
salt and pepper
olive oil
parmesan cheese

3 comments:

  1. I am book marking this recipe. This is the minestrone (minus the noodles) that I LOVE. Lots of veggies. YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Minestron is such a beautyfull classic which I love especially on rainy cold days. thank u for sharing!

    ReplyDelete