Friday, May 13, 2011

Seasonal Dessert!

Usually when Ian and I go to a farmers market I am the one that stares at the fruits and vegetables and he goes right for the baked goods and food that is cooked there.  He found the best tacos ever at a farmers market in Kenosha.  But last weekend, he was the one that went right for the... rhubarb.  I had never had rhubarb until I made this dish, but I was in such shock that he requested something other than pastries that I got it without thinking twice.

I decided that I would make a crumble with the rhubarb.  I have heard that people either love or hate rhubarb pie and I thought a butter/brown sugar coating would ensure it would be delicious.  It was.  The tartness of the rhubarb balanced out the sweetness of the coating.  Incredible!  I got this batch of rhubarb from Ellis Family Farms and they recommended checking out their recipes.  I used the recipe for the "rhubarb crunch."

Preheat the oven to 350.  First make the crumble part.  Sift one cup of flour into a bowl.  Then add one cup of uncooked quick oatmeal (like Quaker) and one cup of light brown sugar.  Add one teaspoon of cinnamon and then add 1/2 cup of soft butter.  Make sure it's soft or it won't crumble!


Mix the ingredients together.  I started by using a spoon, but honestly, it's much easier if you just put your hands in and smush.


Once you have achieved your desired crumbliness, put half of the crumbs into the bottom of a greased 9 inch square baking dish.


Cut the rhubarb.  This recipe calls for four cups of diced rhubarb, but I didn't have enough.  I had about two and a half cups and it worked just fine.  If you are one of those people that freaks out when you don't have exactly what you need, I sympathize.  But don't worry... just use what you have and it'll probably work!  Also, rhubarb looks like red celery.  But it's OK... as long as you don't try it raw... because it tastes like sour celery.  Gross.  Pour the diced rhubarb over the crumbs in the dish.


Now for the trickiest part of the dish: the syrup.  In a small saucepan heat one cup of water, one cup of sugar, and two tablespoons of corn starch.  You want to heat it until it's thick and has turned mostly clear again.  This takes anywhere from 5-10 minutes.  Just because it's gotten thick doesn't mean it's done.  I tasted it and when the syrup didn't taste starchy and chalky I knew it was done.


Pour the syrup over the rhubarb and then cover with the other half of the crumble.


Bake for one hour.  Serve warm with homemade vanilla ice cream over top!  Happy finishing your 2L year, Ian!


Rhubarb Crunch
1 cup sifted flour
1 cup uncooked quick oatmeal
1 cup light brown sugar
1/2 cup soft butter
1 teaspoon cinnamon
4 cups diced rhubarb
1 cup sugar
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1 cup water



1 comment:

  1. It was wonderful. The flavor of the rhubarb was subtle. The crumble my favorite, of course.

    ReplyDelete