Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Bison Stir Fry

Every time I come home after a night of cooking at Froggy's Restaurant, I feel so inspired to try new recipes with ingredients I've never used before and see what happens.  I feel so clever when I do this, although the fumes of whatever I cooked have usually gone to my head by this point.  On Friday I made a bison stir fry using a bunch of left over ingredients from the farmers market and a bison sirloin.  Bison is absolutely incredible and if you've never tried it, do it... now.  It's lean, tender, and filled with flavor.  It's also a very fast cooking meat so if you're in a hurry or feeling lazy, it's perfect.  I love stir fry because it's so healthy and there are so many ways to make it that it's never boring!  It's also a great way to clean out the fridge (and freezer- ours is filled to the max with meat... literally.)

First, I roughly chopped mushrooms and sauteed them in grapeseed oil and a little butter until they started to sweat.  Then, I added strips of the bison sirloin and sauteed it for a couple of minutes.  Make sure to season the bison well with salt and pepper.  I also added in a piece of grated ginger for flavor.


The vegetables I chose: scallions, asparagus, and snow peas are all very quick to cook, so make sure that your mushrooms are mostly done before adding the rest of the veggies in.  I dice them to bite size pieces.  The bison only takes 3-5 minutes to cook so add this just before adding the veggies.  Saute the veggies for about 3-5 minutes until they are tender but still crisp.


Add a couple of tablespoons of soy sauce and a tablespoon of sesame oil over top.  Stir and serve hot over rice.


There you have a nice and easy dinner with lots of flavor!  What is your favorite "clean-out-the-fridge" meal?

No comments:

Post a Comment