Friday, June 10, 2011

Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp

I'm not sure what my mind block is on making pie.  But right now I have one, and I had more rhubarb so I decided to try another recipe for a crisp.  I must admit that this one was much better.  This recipe is from Barbara Kingsolver's book Animal, Vegetable, Miracle.  If you haven't read it, I really suggest checking it out!  She and her family eat locally for a year and grow their own food.  She makes taking on such a task actually feel normal.  They have recipes and neat anecdotes throughout the chapters.  She's also hilarious.  I have been trying to get most of my food from farmers markets and eating that way instead of grocery shopping.  While I definitely couldn't say my diet is based on only local foods, I think that I have made significant progress and I really enjoy trying to eat around my weekly catch.

I was flipping through this book to show my sister a couple of things and came upon this Strawberry Rhubarb crisp recipe.  I decided to try it because, let's be honest: my last rhubarb crisp was mostly crisp and barely any rhubarb.  This recipe is delicious and healthy and full of a hearty serving of fruit.  Try it out!  Especially because rhubarb will be out of season soon, and strawberries are very, very in season!

Preheat the oven  to 350.  First cut 3 cups of strawberries and 3 cups of rhubarb.


Put in a bowl and add 1/2 cup of local honey.  Mix well.  Then put into a ungreased 8 X 8 pan.


The honey is what won me over I think.  I so much prefer the natural sweetness of honey to the syrup that I made with corn starch last time.  Corn starch kind of grosses me out.  It just does.  Honey is so much better!  OK.  Now make the crumble.  You will need 1/2 cup flour, 1/2 cup quick cooking oatmeal, 1/2 cup brown sugar (I used a little more), 3/4 teaspoon of cinnamon, 1/2 teaspoon allspice, and 1/2 cup butter.


Mix until it's actually crumbly.  It'll take a little while, but it looks much better that way.


Sprinkle over the strawberries and rhubarb and bake for 40 minutes.


It will be done when it's a pretty golden color and you see pink goo oozing everywhere.


Yum.  OK I swear I'm done with the rhubarb crisps for now.  Maybe if there's time I'll try to make a pie!  How do you like to use rhubarb? 

Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp
3 cups strawberries, cut in half
3 cups chopped rhubarb
1/2 cup honey
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup quick cooking oatmeal
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon allspice
1/3 cup butter

1 comment:

  1. Rhubarb and strawberries should get married, they go so well together! Always love a good Rhubarb bake, Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete