Monday, April 11, 2011

Farmers Market Success!!!

It doesn't take much to get me really excited about food.  So it should come as no surprise that when I realized there was a farmers market in Chicago during the off-season, I was absolutely ecstatic.  A few weeks back we went to the Family Farmed Expo.  We only went to the part that had the booths, but there was tons of information.


One of the most informative booths was the Green City Market.
I am aware of the fact that putting this picture in is a little hokey, but it's the only one I took of the market because once I got inside I was so overwhelmed and amazed that I completely forgot I even had a camera... obviously it's difficult to take me anywhere. 

I even bought a cute bag for the occasion.

I love to buy items that I wouldn't usually buy or know what to do with and the challenge that presents itself in figuring out what to do with them.  This week my challenge comes with the purchase of elk, duck eggs, and purple potatoes.  While I have been instructed that purple potatoes are pleasant mashed and you sear elk like a steak, the duck eggs are where I'm stuck.  When I asked the man selling eggs what I can do with them, he informed me that they are fantastic for souffles.  Well, I don't know about you, but I've never attempted a souffle on my own... thoughts? 

I also bought chicken eggs, goat cheese with chili (incredible - I highly recommend it), scallions, carrots, and the most amazing honey crisp apples I have ever had.  I made a yummy, local breakfast that was easy and fairly healthy!  Here's what I did:

First I chopped two scallions and sauteed them in olive oil.  Have you ever tried making your eggs in olive oil... try it, it rocks! (and less cholesterol... if you care.  I do.)
Crack some eggs into a bowl and lightly stir them.  I don't add anything to them, but if you like to add milk then feel free... although it may not be necessary- we also throw in some incredible cheese and it's pretty creamy and gooey! 

Add the eggs and stir with a spatula as if you're making scrambled eggs.  I do this all over low heat so that it's easier to add the cheese and make it nice and smushy... yes, it's a technical term for scrambled eggs with cheese.  Then for the best part:
Excusing the awkward label on the cheese, get THIS cheese... it's excellent.  I'm sure if you google this brand name you will find it.  This is goat cheese "kicked up a notch," as Emeril would say, with some delicious chili powder.  Take a couple of heaping spoonfuls and just throw it right into the eggs.  Stir it (and smush!) until the cheese is nice and melty and the eggs are soft and gooeyish.
Enjoy with your favorite piece of fruit and you won't even crave a mid-morning snack!

If you have never been to a farmers market, this is the absolute best time to get started!  Since they are the new cool thing to do, they are everywhere, and they offer tons of food items other than just fruits and vegetables.  Tons of them have meat vendors, mushrooms, jams, local honey and maple syrup, and fresh baked goods. (The one we went to even had freshly made apple donuts!)  It is honestly a great way to understand more about the food you eat and how difficult it is to make it that way.  And the vendors are always more than willing to give you advice and talk to you about their products.  Check it out, it's really neat!

Scrambled Eggs with Goat Cheese
3-4 tablespoons olive oil
4 eggs, lightly beaten
2 scallions chopped
2 heaping spoonfuls of your favorite goat cheese

2 comments:

  1. Yummy yummy. I've been meaning to try scrambled eggs with olive oil! Also, I've heard that duck eggs make good scrambled eggs, they're just much more rich!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh that's an excellent idea!! I'll have to try that this weekend... Thanks!

    ReplyDelete